Shaving cream can surprisingly be filled with many questionable ingredients. These ingredients range from petroleum derived oils, to glycols commonly used in cars. It is important when dealing with products that go into our face that holds our thinnest, more sensitive skin, we are using clean, nontoxic products. It would be in the best interest to avoid the following chemicals when skimming the ingredient list on a shaving cream’s label.
What Toxins are in Shaving Creams and What is the Harm?
- Triethanolamine(TEA): TEA is used in shaving cream as an emulsifier. While this chemical is relatively safe at concentrations under 5%, it can still cause redness, burning, rashes, and skin ulcerations. It also can be carcinogenic when mixed with N-nitrosating agents.
- Propylene Glycol: This chemical is used in cosmetic products, such as men’s shaving cream, to absorb moisture and maintain a certain level of moisture and also keeps water and oil from seperating. The same chemical is also used as an antifreeze agent and in brake oil. It is a skin irritant, causes urticaria and allergic reactions upon contact, even at extremely small concentrations.
- Butylated Hydroxytoluene: BHT is a toluene based substance used in shaving cream as a preservative. It has been linked to being carcinogenic, having moderate levels of immunotoxicity, and causing allergic reactions on the skin.
- Mineral Oil: This petroleum-based oil (also used in gasoline) is used as a lubricant and binder in shaving creams. It is a strong immune and respiratory toxin, and classified as a moderate organ toxin.
- Fragrance: An important chemical to look for when scanning the ingredient label is fragrance or parfum. This term should not be on any ingredient list. Unless a company is transparent about what is in their fragrance, we never know just what chemicals are in it. The US does not legally require companies to explicitly list out the chemicals in their fragrance on product labels, so various cancer causing, hormone disrupting and irritating chemicals can be masked as “fragrance” on the ingredient label. Hundreds of toxic chemicals can be simply listed under the single term of “fragrance” without any elaboration.
- Sodium Lauryl / Laureth Sulfate: Used to make shaving cream lather, lauryl mimics estrogen and laureth creates 1,4 dioxane as a byproduct; a known carcinogen.
Your skin is most sensitive and vulnerable when shaving. Therefore, including these chemicals in your shaving barrier product will only have a negative effect. Fortunately, brands are keeping up with the science and many are now offering clean alternatives.
Clean and Organic Shaving Creams
Brands are now offering their customers an organic shaving cream option. Ingredients such as Aloe vera, shea butters, glycerin, and jojoba oils are most common in organic shaving creams on the market today. These natural ingredients assist your razor by giving you a closer shave, while organically doing so. Check out our list of non toxic clean shaving creams below:
Organic Shaving Soap | Dr. Bronner's
Dr.Bronners has been known for years in being clean and organic products. From soaps to lotions to sanitizers. Dr. Bronners has created an organic shaving soap, available in tea tree, peppermint, lavender, lemon grass, and classic unscented. This product assists the razor in getting a close shave while intensely moisturizing the skin surface. Formulated with a base of coconut, olive, and hemp soap, also known as Dr. Bronner's iconic mixture. Their shaving soaps are certified USDA organic, cruelty-free, non-GMO, and free from many toxins commonly used in shaving soaps, creams, and foams. We approved!
Sugarcoat Moisturizing Shave Gel-to-Milk | Oui the People
OUI the People is a clean and sustainable friendly company that believes in inclusivity. Their products are encouraged to be used by everyone. Their signature Shave Gel-to-milk Shaving Gel has been created with only the highest quality skincare ingredients. The gel-to-milk formula goes on as a gel and when wet, transforms into a milk like constancy. Argan, grapeseed, marcula, and sunflower oil allows for easy glide out for the razor and intense moisturizing. We say oui to OUI the People!
Fragrance Free Moisture Shave | Kiss My Face
Final on our list but most certainly not least favorite, it Kiss My Face Fragrance Free Moisture Shave. Available through Amazon and their official website, this is a nFragrance Free Moisture Shave – Kiss My Face Naturally and organically sourced 4-in-1 shaving cream that offers intense hydration, moisturize, soothing, and softens the skin for a closer and safer shave. Packed with oils and rich botanicals, along with being free from many irritants, vegan, and cruelty-free, we consider Kiss My Face approved.
Stellar Shave Cream | Ursa Major
When it comes to an organically sourced shave cream option, Ursa Major has got you covered. Their Stellar Shave Cream is a nourishing shaving cream that protects against razor burns and nicks, while actively moisturizing the skin. The clean ingredients list contains the following:
- Aloe to soothe.
- Sunflower to help the skin retain moisture.
- Oat protein to improve the glide and moisturize skin's surface.
- Birch Sap to reduce redness after shaving.
- Willow bark to condition the skin with the natural source of beta hydroxy acid.
Along with their array of organically sourced products that you will love, Stellar Shave Cream is one to try.
Shave Cream | Schaf
Schaf is dedicated to health in skincare products. Creating top of the line products with only the best ingredients. Their award winning shaving cream, Schaf Shave Cream, will not disappoint. Formulated with a smoothing blend of coconut oil, aloe, and hyaluronic acid, this shave cream works to avoid nicks and cuts while being organic. Free from fragrances, parabens, mineral oils, and petroleum, this alternative is one of our favorites!
Easy-Glide Shaving Emulsion for Him | Pevonia
Pevonia’s Easy-Glide Shaving Emulsion for men is a naturally formulated product made with safflower,vitamin e, and chamomile. These ingredients assist in preventing razor burn, in growns, irritation from razors, and dryness common after shaving. Created and approved for all skin types, including those with sensitive skin concerns. This product is alcohol-free, paraben free, no mineral oil, GMO’s, and cruelty free. We encourage you to try Pevonia’s take on an organic shaving alternative.
Don’t waste your spending power on products that contain toxins in order to achieve the close and hydrated shave of your dreams. Focus on organic, clean, and naturally sourced alternatives and lessen your toxic body burden.